Household Hazardous Waste_

The Household Hazardous Waste Facility for Knox County residents is located at 1033 Elm St. just off of Baxter. For questions concerning Hazardous Waste call 865.215.6700. No charges for County citizens.

Mon – Tue – Thur – Fri: 7 am – 4 pm

Wed: 7 am – 12 Noon

Sat: 8 am – 12 Noon

The center will be closed on Sundays

Items Accepted:

Items Not Accepted:

For other Counties please check with your Solid Waste Director for the next Household Hazardous Waste collection event. They are typically held once a year.

8 Responses to “Household Hazardous Waste_”

  1. Where can I take old smoke detectors?


    1. Education says:

      March 22, 2010 at 10:13 am

      Rebecca: GREAT QUESTION! The best thing to do is return them to the manufacturer, since the local Household Hazardous Waste Center does not accept them. We’ll put up a blog post with more information– check it out!


  2. Tom King says:

    April 2, 2010 at 3:58 pm

    What do I need to do to get rid of a old freezer?


    1. Education says:

      April 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

      You can take it to Household Hazardous Waste on Elm Street, or you can take it to a County center. Check our Recycling Guide (download it from the homepage) for a complete list of what is accepted at each location.


  3. Where can I take an old fire extinguisher?


  4. Where can I take the energy smart florescent bulbs to recycle? Can I put them in the curbside bin?


    1. Education says:

      June 19, 2010 at 10:04 am

      Carla, you can take them to HHW, or back to Home Depot. Contact your curbside provider to get more information on what they will accept, but I wouldn’t suggest putting your bulbs in there.


  5. Fluorescent tubes can be recycled at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility on Elm St.

    There are several metal processors in Knoxville. The Knoxville Recycling Coalition does not favor one or the other, sorry.


Leave a Reply

commercial services